June's first pictures- mama.

And even though this baby has been sleeping roughly 23.5 hours a day, she woke up for the whole session and was in a very good mood.

I've been thinking back on my first maternity leave with Henry and the anxiety I had in being with him on my own for the first time. Things are much different with the second kid. You must not have nearly as much time to worry about everything, because I have not spent any time charting dirty and wet diapers like I did with Henry or stressing too much if June is eating enough (she's cry if she was hungry, right?)

Grandma left this morning and although we wish she could stay longer, things haven't been so bad by ourselves. I realize it's only been 7 hours since she left so I shouldn't speak too soon.

I've decided that things will remain easy if the following conditions remain true:
1. June continues to sleep for 18+ hours a day (and this includes only waking us up once to feed between the hours of 11pm and 7 am).
2. June continues to be very content while she is awake and falls asleep easily when she is tired.
3. Papa stays home with Henry in the mornings so I can take 2 hour naps while cuddling a baby.
4. Henry continues to go to the babysitter's twice a week so I have a break (taking care of one infant is so much easier than an infant and a toddler).
5. We spend every morning at the gym wearing Henry out so he continues to take long afternoon naps.
I know the chances of all of this happening again are slim to none, so I'll just revel in what a good day today was and hope that things continue to go well at least until Grandma Cooper gets here on Tuesday.
I've also noticed the things I've done differently with the second kid. Two stick out:First, when I nursed Henry it was always done in a quiet controlled setting with my boppy and soft music playing while I sat in a soft chair with my feet up. June and I have both learned that it's survival of fittest at this house. We haven't used the rocking chair once and most feedings are usually done at the kitchen table while Henry is eating and I am trying to scrape more yogurt out of a bowl or while I'm trying to keep Henry from coloring on the table. We've also mastered nursing on the go, which is something I never did with Henry. Poor June must know that if she wants to eat, she going to have to take what she can get, because Henry is not going to hold his temper tantrums until it is convenient for us.
The second difference is the amount of diapers we've changed. With Henry, I swear we changed his diaper with every fart and feeding. Poor June is lucky if we remember to change her every three hours or if we notice she stinks. On the plus side, it's really cutting down on our diaper expenses (especially considering we're actually buying her fancy name brand diapers). On the down side, pretty soon she's going to start eating enough that we're going to pay for our negligence by the way of a massive blowout.




1 Comments:
Junebug,
You are sooo beautiful.
We can't wait to squeeze you. Ol' Gramps will squeeze you til you grunt.
Love,
GG&GG
Post a Comment
<< Home