Henry and June Turner

The life and times of a big brother and little sister.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Our UW walking tour- Mama.


This picture was actually taken last week when Brandon gave Henry the Geotrax train set that he's been dying to have. And I mean Brandon's been dying to have it- not Henry. But Hank loves it and spends most of his day playing with it or talking about playing with it.


We spend a lot of time wondering who Henry looks like most, but in these two pictures there's no denying that these two are related. It's the fullness of cheek that gives it away.

Since we found out we were moving, I've been scrambling to get in all the things we never did in the 4 years we lived in Madison. Just in time, there was a newspaper article mapping out a walking tour of the UW campus. Because of the lack of parking, I've never really seen much more than State Street, the Union, and North Hall a few times, so I packed up the kids and we set out. I wold have taken pictures, but Henry was in the stroller and June was asleep in the sling and I just didn't want the hassle. (I really wish I had a double stroller!)

We started out at the Union and set off down the Lakeshore path. It's a very nice (flat) walk by the lake, which was covering most of the docks because the water level is so high. I enjoyed it, but Henry just kept asking where the construction equipment was.

We cut through the dorms and I felt old. We stopped for about 20 minutes to watch some forklifts and cranes. After that fun, walking through the Allen Centennial Gardens paled in comparison (in Henry's eyes).

Then we walked over to Babcock Hall to visit the famous (in my book) Dairy store that serves up sandwiches and ice cream. We had a great lunch outside and an overflowing bowl of chocolate peanut butter ice cream. Poor baby June had to sit in the stroller and watch us. Poor kid.

We then walked back on Observatory Drive, which boasts the spectacular view of the lake. But to get to the view, you've got to climb a pretty steep hill. (Oh my aching calves). Then down Bascom Mall and back to State Street to watch construction vehicles.

It was a very nice walk, and both kids were very agreeable for the 2.5 hour excursion. It's too bad we've never gone down the lake shore path before. It was almost like you weren't in the middle of town. There were a few things that surprised me though- namely the huge number of stairs that I had to carry the stroller up and down. I know that it's a hilly campus, but you'd figure that they'd add some ramps. Especially to the Dairy Store. No one should be deprived that creamy wonderful ice cream goodness.

By the way- congratulations to Aunt Girl for logging the 30,000th hit. And we'll give Aunt Molly honorable mention for 30,001. You both win the chance to come to Madison and babysit for free for the rest of the summer.

1 Comments:

At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are your poppa's boy. You guys are twins!

Love,
GG&GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home